1. On the Alamo
2. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
3. Here Lies Love
4. Gone with the Wind
5. When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles with You)
6. Back Bay Blues
1. Recorded at "Storyville Club", Boston, MA, December 1953, March 30 1954 and in Los Angeles, July 22 1954.
2. This album has never been released by Columbia on CD.
3. It was issued in 2006 on CD by European label, Fresh Sound Records. The CD included three additional tracks from the Fantasy album "Brubeck Desmond" from 1952.
4. Columbia issued 2, 10 LPs "Dave Brubeck at Storyville, 1954 Vol. 1 & 2".
5. It was included in a 4 CD release by AVID records.
All Music Guide Review copyright
This Columbia LP contains a total of six tracks from three different appearances by the Dave Brubeck Quartet at George Wein's Storyville between December 1953 and July 1954, two of which originated from radio broadcasts. Sticking to a mix of standards and popular songs that have since fallen out of favor among jazz musicians, the pianist and his longtime alto saxophonist, Paul Desmond, weave their magic together with several extended imaginative improvisations, particularly "On the Alamo" and "Gone with the Wind."
The campy pseudo-newspaper packaging adds to the appeal of this long unavailable record, which still pops up occasionally in used record stores nearly five decades after it was recorded.
© Copyright Rovi Corporation